New Career Vision
Career Transition Resource Center
Holistically empowering individuals with information, resources and support
to achieve their education and career dreams
Our Core Values:
- Faith-based: This non-profit organization was founded on the belief that one’s spiritual life is an integral part of the person’s psyche that cannot be ignored when addressing major life choices. We will acknowledge and respect the spiritual beliefs of our clients and will provide referrals where appropriate. We will also respect the wishes of individuals who do not wish to discuss spiritual issues.
- Inclusive: Resources are available to all who choose to use them. Our services are available to any individual who meets the criteria of whom we serve. We will refer for those issues that are out of our scope of training.
- Non-Judgmental: We believe human beings are not perfect. Consequently, all people make mistakes and can often regret some prior life choices. Individuals who seek our help often are living with the consequences of theirs (or others’) prior life choices. We believe sometimes consequences can be a wonderful teacher. Our philosophy is not to judge for those choices, but to help with finding solutions for those consequences where possible and reasonable.
- Personal Responsibility: We are here to empower individuals with the information, resources, and support they need so they can take responsibility for making effective choices regarding their present and future circumstances. However, we acknowledge that individuals have the freedom to make their own choices. Some people will choose to accept this responsibility and some will not. Therefore, success is ultimately in the individual’s hands, not ours. We reserve the right to refuse to continue to support individuals who continue to not accept responsibility for their lives, for making responsible choices, or choose to not cooperate with our professional recommendations.
- Interdependence: We believe that all individuals are inherently gifted in some ways and consequently likely have weaknesses in other ways as well. Therefore we are interdependent upon each other to address all the needs of society. We believe that all individuals are better suited to fulfill certain roles in society and not others based on their unique gift-mix. However, we also believe that it is not appropriate to use this as an excuse to not accept personal responsibility for ones’ life and actions, or to not contribute to group needs when they arise. We also acknowledge that this philosophy may contradict more mainstream philosophies that believe “you can do or be anything you want”, who believe in hyper individualism, or who believe the most important thing in life is to ‘be happy.’
- Unique Identity: We believe all human beings are created with inherent worth and are worthy of being treated with dignity and respect. That involves respecting that individual human beings have unique personalities, talents and abilities, learning styles, challenges, values, circumstances. Consequently they also have unique needs, priorities, and goals. It also involves respecting their free will. Therefore one-sized-fits-all solutions are not appropriate. We do believe in respecting the laws of the land, codes of ethics in our respective fields, and the wisdom and experience of those who have gone before us in our respective fields. However to address the challenges many of our clients face in today’s changing world may require us to take non-traditional approaches to addressing the complex needs of our clients.
- Collaboration: The needs of our clients are often diverse and great. We cannot accept total responsibility for addressing all the needs that cross our paths. Instead, we operate by collaborating with other organizations (non-profit, for-profit, faith-based, government, higher education, entrepreneurs, etc.) where appropriate to address as many needs as possible.
- Life-long Learners: We are here to help individuals survive and thrive in a changing world. In order to do that, individuals can no longer afford to believe that knowledge and skills gained 10 or more years ago will automatically make them competitive in today’s changing job market. In addition, we believe that when we are not growing and learning, we are stagnant and possibly even regressing developmentally. Therefore, we believe that it is crucial for all individuals to develop a philosophy of life-long learning instead of assuming they can just find the “right answer” and then build a life upon that “right answer”. With this in mind, clients must have a teachable spirit in order to benefit from the resources we provide.
- Holistic: We believe there are many variables that affect an individual’s success at their journey. All aspects of a person’s life (financial, emotional, physical, spiritual, family, relationships, cultural, societal, residential, etc.) can affect the individual, their decision-making process, and their choices. Therefore all aspects of the person’s life must be taken into consideration.
- Pragmatically Optimistic: We live in and accept the real world for what it is – not perfect and never will be. Yet we also chose to believe, at the same time, we can impact some people by the choices we make. We strive to teach our clients to do the same: To live in the real world, but still have hope that there is something which they can control and change.
- Creatively Resourceful: We teach our clients that a stable world upon which we can base all of our life’s decisions no longer exists. Instead, we need to learn how to adapt to a world of constant change, and to find creative and resourceful ways of addressing our financial and other needs. This allows an individual to broaden their options for solving problems, instead of assuming life will begin when they get that full-time dream career job.